Have you ever wondered about the disruptions caused by traditional weighing methods in industries? The cumbersome process of halting vehicles, causing traffic snarls, and impeding efficient operations can be a real havoc for your daily business operations. However, thanks to the advancement in technology, weigh-in-motion (WIM) has proven to eliminate all such difficulties, redefining the way of approaching weighing processes.
However, in case you are not aware of what in-motion weighing means, stay tuned till the end to find out. This article will discuss all about it including its benefits and applications.
What is Weigh-In-Motion?
As the name suggests, weigh-in-motion is a technology that enables the measurement of the weight of moving objects without the need for them to stop. Traditional weighing methods often require halting operations, causing delays and disruptions. On the other hand, weigh-in-motion operates seamlessly, capturing weight data as vehicles or loads move through the measurement zone. This innovation has significant implications for various industries, offering a faster and more efficient approach to weight measurement.
The technology typically employs sensors embedded in the road or track surface, capable of measuring the force exerted by the passing load. By analyzing this force, weigh-in-motion systems can accurately determine the weight of the object in motion. This real-time data collection provides valuable insights into the dynamic weight distribution of vehicles, offering a comprehensive view of their load characteristics.
Benefits of Weigh-In-Motion Systems
The creation of weigh-in-motion technology has brought several benefits, such as:
1. Efficiency and Productivity
The ability to measure weights without interrupting the flow of traffic enhances efficiency and productivity. Thus, the in-motion weighing systems help in reducing downtime associated with traditional weighing methods.
2. Data Accuracy and Analysis
Real-time data collection provides accurate weight measurements, enabling detailed analysis of load characteristics. This information is invaluable for optimizing transportation logistics, ensuring compliance with weight regulations, and enhancing overall safety.
3. Cost Savings
In-motion weighing minimizes the need for static weigh stations and manual weighing processes, resulting in significant cost savings. The reduction in infrastructure and personnel requirements makes this technology a cost-effective solution for weight measurement.
4. Enforcement of Regulations
Weigh-in-motion systems play a crucial role in enforcing weight regulations on roads and railways. By automatically monitoring and flagging non-compliant vehicles, these systems contribute to safer transportation networks.
5. Data-Driven Decision Making
The data generated by weigh-in-motion systems allows transportation authorities to make informed decisions regarding road maintenance and infrastructure development. This data-driven approach contributes to the overall improvement of the transportation system.
6. Preservation of Infrastructure
Accurate weight monitoring helps in preserving the structural integrity of roads and bridges. By preventing overloading, weigh-in-motion systems play a crucial role in extending the lifespan of transportation infrastructure.
Application of Weigh-In-Motion
Weigh-in-motion has diverse applications across various industries, each benefiting from its unique capabilities. Some of the fields it is being heavily used are:
In railways, weigh-in-motion ensures adherence to weight limits, preventing the overloading of trains. This technology facilitates the efficient movement of goods, enhancing rail transportation safety and reliability.
On roadways, weigh-in-motion systems contribute to the enforcement of weight regulations for trucks and other vehicles. These systems assist in monitoring and managing the weight distribution of vehicles by seamlessly integrating with traffic flow. This further helps in reducing wear and tear on roads.
In the mining industry, where the transportation of heavy loads is intrinsic, weigh-in-motion proves handy in many ways. This technology allows for continuous monitoring of haul trucks, optimizing load capacities, and ensuring the safe and efficient transport of materials.
4. Ports and Airports
Weigh-in-motion revolutionizes port and airport operations by ensuring compliance with weight regulations for cargo vehicles and aircraft. This minimizes delays, prevents overloading, and enhances safety. Further, contributing to the seamless flow of goods and passengers.
5. In Motion check weighing
Check Weigher – is an industry wide application within the packaging & transportation industry, a typical Check Weigh system in installed in line with a production conveyor belt system, finish and packed box of product is send over a in motion check weigh belted system for verification of target box weight to be within a higher and lower limit, for an acceptable box or rejectable box. If the box is rejected then the product inside the packed box is either under filled or over filled, this is an important part of any production line quality check system.
Overview of an In Motion Weighing system
A typical In Motion Weighing system consists of
- Weighing Bed, depending on the application weigh bed can be anyway between 12 X 8 inches to 5 X 3 feet or bigger for industrial applications. A 12 X 8 inches weigh bed sits on the live side of single load cell, while weigh bed with bigger in size rest on 4 live side of load cells one on each corner. Weigh-Bed has a roller type motor on driven end and an idler roller type on the other end, both the idler and the motor are well balanced. A conveyor belt is a special endless type with special material depending on application and product being weigh.
- Mechanical frame holds the weigh bed assembly, along with dead side on the load cell/s. Construction of the frame has a solid design to observe any mechanical vibration and provides a steady noise free platform for the in motion weighing system to perform.
- Scale controller with raw weigh data capturing capabilities is mounted on the mechanical frame with a display to show captured weight of product while in motion.
- Most scale controllers are computer based which allows processing of in motion weighing software, which operates in the background while the scale controller captures raw weight data while the product moves live over the conveyor belt. In motion software is a high-end edge processor to quickly collect weight data, filter noise elements of the raw weight data and run quick algorithms on collected date in co-ordination with photo sensors mounted to detect product entering and leaving weigh bed, and finally outputs an accurate weight value of the product very close to the product weight in static mode.
- ControlSoft Canada has more then 10+ years of experience in designing and installing In Motion weighing applications, within food, packaging & transporting industries. ControlSoft Canada has integrated scanning product barcodes in motion and static state and formalize custom data string to be send directly to client central software system along with product ID, weight &time, and date stamp.
- ControlSoft has worked with Rice Lake weighing RL920i scale controllers and have expert level inhouse capabilities to program any custom applications and integrating them to client ERP / MES server systems.
In-motion weighing is an exceptional technology that has fastened business processes by manifolds, solving the weighing hassle throughout various industries. Therefore, embracing this technology is not just a step forward. But also a leap towards a future with precision and progress.